WHICH NEW LAWS CAN WE EXPECT UNDER RAMAPHOSA’S RULING?
According to the Parliamentary Monitoring Group since January 2018, 41 Bills were in the “queue” in parliament, waiting to become enacted Legislation. Many may be finalized in this term of presidency.
To name a few here are some of the proposed bills to be finalized:
These new laws are plan on banning smoking in all public spaces including:
- No in-door smoking including the removal of designated smoking areas;
- No outdoor smoking including the removal of designated smoking areas;
- When outside smokers must be at least ten meters away from any entrances;
- The removal of all branding and signage’s from cigarette packages; and
- Cigarettes may no longer be displayed by retailers.
Cigarettes will therefore be sold but not advertised. The packaging will only contain the brand name and warning labels.
Aside from the total ban of alcohol advertising the following will also be put into place:
- The legal age to consume alcohol will now be increased to the age of twenty one years old as opposed to eighteen years old;
- The distribution and manufacturing of alcohol cannot be less then five hundred meters away from schools, places of worship, rehabilitation areas as well as residential areas; and
- Any unlicensed persons selling or distributing alcohol will have to pay damages in respect to any and all alcohol.
HATE SPEECH LAWS:
With the rise of the many racist comments that have been made public in this social media age, it is clear that something needs to be done.
To protect everyone’s race, religion and gender under the Constitution, new laws will come out to sanction hate speech. This punishment may even be used against petty insults. Other laws like internet censorship and congestion tax are also on the forefront of Parliaments promulgation list which we could be facing in the near future.
Want to know how laws are made? Have a look here :
For any information regarding where you stand among the new fast approaching laws contact us at Schwenn Inc on 031 003 0630 or email us on Charmaine@schwenninc.co.za.